1972 Triumph Spitfire available for sale.
This classic little British Triumph Spitfire Roadster is for sale.
Full Details are listed below under the pictures.
Effective 2022-05-26 – PRICE REDUCED TO $ 24,700.00 CDN
Taking her for a ride…
Thank you for your interest in the Spitfire. The engine is a fresh rebuild completed and installed in 2020. It is a small journal 1300cc from a 1969 Spitfire Mk3. This engine is considered the best small car triumph engine among enthusiasts. It has been built to the following specs by a local performance/race engine builder:
- case hardened crank, rotating assembly dynamically balanced
- light weight flywheel
- cast pistons over sized .020, grant piston rings
- chromoly Pauter rods
- std main and large journal tri metal bearings
- std cam bearings
- performance Kent TH5 cam
- hardened tappets
- Smith bros chromoly push rods
- duplex timing chain and gear set
- later model cylinder head with larger race intake and exhaust valves with viton valve seals
- manganese bronze guides with double valve spring
- titanium valve caps and hardened collars
- ported and shaved head, running 10.4:1 compression ratio
- goodparts 1:55 roller rocker
- external valve gear oil feed with metered oiling
- uprated later 1500 oil pump
- thermostatically control oil cooler
- programmable 123 electronic ignition
- alloy front pulley
- block was cleaned, line bored, decked and cylinders over bored .020 and counter sunk for fire ring, center main oil galley enlarged to 5/16” for better oiling to center main and middle big ends
- ARP main studs, cylinder head bolts and flywheel bolts
- upgrade HD bronze thrust washers
- quad 31mm Keihin carbs and intake.
- electric fuel pump
- ceramic coated performance exhaust manifold and exhaust system
- chromed timing chain over, water pump pulley, coil, and oil dipstick etc.
The original engine had been similarly modified by the second owner in 2005 and had a cam failure after only roughly 10,000 miles just a few years ago. This engine is what is known as the large crank 1300cc. It has been taken down and is stored in a bin. It is offered for sale with the car along with most new parts to rebuild the short block.
A third engine, a spare Mk3 small journal 1300cc engine from a 1970 spitfire is also offered with the car.
The car registers 22,000 original miles, I purchased it from the second owner in 2008 and at that time it registered only 10,000 original miles. The spitfire was purchased new by a Canadian couple living in the UK. It was her car and was driven from 1972 to 1975. After a transfer from the UK to Singapore, the car, along with their belongings, was shipped to Winnipeg where it remained in storage until 1983 when the couple returned to Canada. The spitfire was stored in a heated garage between 1983 and 2004, registering only 800 miles during that time.
It retains its original paint, though it is not perfect and has been touched up here and there, it looks very good for a 50yr old paint. The glass, all interior, chrome/stainless, soft, and hard tops are original. The car is optioned from new with the rare overdrive and factory hardtop. The spitfire is offered with original parts that have been swapped out, such as the original wheel and bias ply tires etc.
The spitfire rides on 16-inch wheels (tires are new last year) with sport suspension (ride height and ride adjustable shocks, up rated springs and poly urethane bushing throughout).
The car is fully documented from new, bill of sale, delivery inspection, export papers, parts, and service invoices, etc.
Lastly, based on the VIN the spitfire is a 1972 model year but has always been registered as a 1971, something not that uncommon for the period.